Monday, November 28, 2011

Week 63


Hello Family! 

Another great week here in Miag-ao.  This last week was Elder Gowey’s last week on the mission.  In act, this morning I took him to the city and on Wednesday he will be back in Arizona.  Crazy, eh?  It was fun talking to him and seeing how he was feeling about going back after being gone for so long.  I am interested to see who my next companion will be.  I will know who he is on Friday at the transfer meeting.  So this week I will be with the Tiolas Elders (Elder Eror and Elder Waggoner) and we will officially become the coolest companionship to ever exist in missionary work.  Get ready.

Lots of people have asked about Thanksgiving in the Philippines.  Well, it doesn’t exist.  However, we had four American Elders within fifteen minutes of each other so we did the best we could to have our own little Thanksgiving… Then things snowballed a bit.  We ended up buying a live turkey that was about 6 kilos.  We kept it for about 3 days and then I brought it to a guy we know who makes “Litson Pabo” (a turkey that has been skewered with bamboo and slow cooked over charcoal… like a luau).  Then we cooked potatoes and gravy, had watermelon, caned peaches, rice, rolls, juice, and root beer.  Pictures, again, are on Elder Waggoner’s flickr.  It was a night of fine dining if I do say so myself. 

The work was pretty slow this week, but Sunday was a very pleasant one.  We had our Stake President visit along with the branch president and put them to work with interviews.  From what I could tell the plans to become a branch are moving along just great.  We had all of our priesthood holders/ potentials attend.  Our future group leader and branch president was interviewed and has set some goals to get married in the temple on May next year.  I am really excited or them.  He seems to be doing really really well.  We are still focusing on a couple families to really get them consistent in their church attendance and helping them live the commandments.  The big struggle is to get them to make real commitments.  They will always just say they will do things and never get around to it.  So, my focus lately has been how to get real commitments… the ones where they promise God and themselves to do something… not just a promise to Elder Lowry.  That is always a tough one to get.

I am really excited this week to get my new companion.  He is definitely in for a tough area that really needs someone that is dedicated to help and serve.  This is definitely a very unique area with really different problems.  It was a tough one for me to adjust to so I plan to help the next comp to adjust quickly so we can get our hands dirty here in Miag-ao.  And he had also be ready to have some fun… because when you work hard you have to play hard.   

The internet connection is way weak today so I will have to attach a picture next week.  But this morning at the office I got to take some pictures with my trainer and my trainee (they are both office elders right now).  It was so good to see them.  I love both of those guys.

Anyways… I sure missed you all this last week for Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving 2012 will sure be a blast!  I am doing really well here though and am having a blast.  I am ready for a new week of good hard work and I will fill you all in next week on my new companion.  Thanks or all the letters and the emails and support.  I love to read about what is going on with everyone and how well you all are doing. 

Halong,

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment