Monday, May 2, 2011

Week 33

Hello Family!

So... I am getting transferred. Man. It put me in sort of a sour mood this morning. But I am optimistic about it right now and will continue to find the up side of things. I know which zone I am going to as well. I will be in the Roxas zone which takes up the province of Capiz. So I will be the next zone neighbor of my former zone (if that makes any sort of sense). It also means that I will be learning the great language of Ilonggo. So I am not excited to go back from the beginning and get used to another language. I guess I am not technically going 'back to the drawing board' per say. I understand the language for the most part, but it will be tough to substitute the words. It seems like Ilonggo is a lot of shortcuts as well so it will be different to get used to it. It also sounds like they are singing while they talk. Their intonation is very soft and it sounds like a lullaby.

So after being in the Aklan for six months I will have to leave and make my home somewhere else. The most 'bukid' area in the mission is in Roxas zone and I could possibly go there. Bukid- all farms and mountains and no city whatsoever. So it would be interesting if I go there. Banga had some areas that were very primitive but we also had a 'rich' city part as well. My trainer is in Roxas right now so I will get to see him again as well. I could also go to a beach area. That would be very very sweet for pictures to send home.

We had our area conference this last weekend. We got to hear from our area president Elder Teh (Korean), Elder Quentin L. Cook, The RS pres., and President Packer. So that was quite a treat. It has been 50 years of missionary work here in this country. I learned so much about the Philippine history there. It is the ONLY christian country in this region of the world. In fifty years we have over 600,000 members (the fastest growing country in the history of the church). Elder Teh said something really interesting that I want to share with you all. He said, "The Lord is hastening his work. We need to get on the same level as him because if you think that the church has grown alot in the past fifty years... you haven't seen anything yet." From for missionaries coming here fifty years ago until now the country has 16 missions, and three temples. The next fifty years are going to be quite amazing. And as far as I'm concerned the next 16 months are gonna be amazing.

So basically I am excited for the future... even though it will not be in Banga Aklan. It is tough to be transferred. Really tough. I have been expecting it but when I heard it I just wanted to cry. I have worked my butt off here and it will be tough to leave and maybe never see some of these people again in this life. But now it is Roxas' turn to have Elder Lowry. I hope I will be enough for them.

I am so excited to talk to you all. I wrote Mom all the options and so it is her job to email me back the final word. So ask Mom and then clear your schedules for Elder Lowry time. haha But really, I think I am that important. You all are so awesome and I can't wait to hear your voices and to tell you Philippines stories!

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment