Monday, December 6, 2010

Week 12

Hello Family and Friends!

So another week as gone by. I am doing well and I have had no further health impediments. I am so grateful for that. The language is still struggling, but it is progressing. Thanks Uncle Trevor for the note, we all need a good reminder every once and a while. I just wish it would come faster, you know? The progress was a big step. I finally got to bond a bit with the girls that we baptized. I am finally able to understand and speak enough to hold small conversations with them. They have also been more patient with my speaking ability. But yes, they were baptized! It was awesome and I am so excited for them. Probably the biggest sign of improvement for me was when I got asked to speak about 10 minutes before the service started. Man, I was praying my heart out to be able to communicate this important important subject matter in a language that was very foreign to me. The bishop had his two daughters getting baptized as well so the pressure to really perform well was on. But I gave the whole talk in Tagalog and no one laughed, out loud at least. I spoke about the Holy Ghost. I thought I did really well and people told me they enjoyed it.

So ya, this week we were really focusing on JeckieLynn and Jorlyn. I am so happy they went through with the baptism. I'm so happy that we got the chance to become friends this week. It will be tough to leave this area just because of them now. I look forward to seeing their family and talking with them. So here is your Filipino 101 lesson for the day: They love pictures. I don't know what it is, but they are the most photogenic people Ive ever seen. The girls would fight over who got the camera. All I would ever hear was "Der Der Der Der... Pahiram ang kamera mo!" So I had to establish the five minute rule. Haha. I was so hoping that this internet cafe would have an SM card reader so I could attach pics, but it doesn't. I know one of them does around here. I will definitely send some next week. these kids are just hilarious. I love it.

Thank you so much for all of the supporting letters and notes. I really look forward to reading them every week. It is so nice to hear from everyone. It is so strange to be so far away from American things. Filipinos try to imitate American things, but it just isn't the same. So it is just difficult. I am getting more used to things here. I'm really trying my hardest to work hard all the time and get better. I think I will just have to learn more patience with this. I got Aunt Donna's letter and Karsyn's letter today! I was so happy to receive those! Thank you so much. I would write back everyone for all the little notes, but to send a letter to America is SO expensive here. (Devyn you should get a letter this week, I sent it through like a UPS and it was SO expensive so I will just send from the normal post office from now on). I apologize. I really am so thankful for them.

I really like the food here. I think that is the most popular question Ive gotten. We eat rice three times a day. Ive only eaten parts of a fish head (not telling which). They call the stuff you put on top of the rice Ulam. That is probably the biggest difference. It can literally be anything. They just call it Ulam. I will always ask my companion "Ano ang ulam natin mamayang gabi?" Or what will be our ulam tonight? And it can be pork chicken, anything. Here it is a privilege to have ulam. One kid asked me if it was true that in America you could have ulam three times a day. Natives can usually only afford ulam for dinner, if that. Just rice and whatever is growing on the nearby trees. It was really a testament of how poor they are here... We can eat whatever we want three times a day. It just boggles my mind sometimes. A lot of people also ask me what kind of ulam my mom likes to make at home. This culture is just SO different. How can I answer that question? I truly am on the other side of the earth.

Other news: We will probably moving to a really actually nice house. It isn't finished yet, but we will probably move right around the new year. So exciting. It is right in the middle of ton and should make our traveling expenses go way down and give us a lot more time to teach. The lady that owns it is a member in a different area. One night while walking home, she saw my companion and I walking and offered us a ride. She told us about this house she was building and offered us a sweet deal on it. The ZL's told we will be able to buy it today. We have to get a new apartment because the mission it growing so much and we will probably have 4 elders in Banga soon. So it is pretty exciting. It is way nicer than our haunted house out in the woods. Pictures to come soon. It literally looks haunted and I can't wait for you all to understand what I mean. So I am way grateful that she passed us that night and gave us a ride. It makes the looking process way easier when it is just given to you.

I am doing well over here. It is so strange to think just how far away from home I am. I can't quite wrap my head around it. Maybe someday I will. A sister and I were talking today (she came in the same time as me) and we discussed that. We also talked about how Filipinos, when they see a white person, just stare. They will literally stop what they are doing and stare at you. It is uncomfortable. Especially for her because she is as tall as I am and very fair skinned. And her companion probably comes up to her belly. It is funny to watch.

Wow, It is hard to believe that college football is already over. Man! Go Auburn! What a quick turn around for their program. they were horrible last year. Even we beat them. And I'm so hoping for a good basketball season for the Dawgs. Keep me updated Dad! We will handle GT nicely, I'm sure. And of course we had better beat UCF. If not... I don't know what I'll do but it will be something to express my anger!

Oh. You wanted to know about Filipinos Christmas. They started celebrating in September. So I have heard Christmas music a lot. As far as trees and other stuff. Not really. They are just too poor. They don't have money to waste on the electricity. They are always happy so I don't think the season has anything to do with it. But They do cook a lot for Christmas. I have been teasing our neighbors that I'm gonna kill one of their roosters that always wakes me up and eat it. They said for Christmas we would eat one. Haha. And the Christmas party got announced and everyone asked me what they should bring so we are having a Filipino Feast (nice alliteration, eh?). So I'm excited!

Thanks again for all the support and love. I pray for you all often and miss you all dearly. Have a great Christmas season! I will be thinking of home and wondering how everyone is! Pictures and more stories to come soon. Can't wait to talk to you all at the end of the month!

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment