Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Week 14

Hey family!

How is everyone doing over there? Things are going quite well over here. It still doesn't feel like Christmas, but it is getting here, eh? I am excited for the holiday and to be able to call home. I worked things out to have a phone. I will let you all call me so that I know you will all be there. You will have to call pretty early in the morning so I can receive the call that night. I am way excited for it! Have all you questions prepared for the culture and I will try my best to prepare good things to talk about. Just remember that if you are scared what the answer might be it just might be better to leave it alone. This is a very different place and they do things a lot differently here. So some questions might be best to leave until after the mission. Ha. Oh, and ask me to tell you the crazy story and I will know what you are talking about. I forgot to include it in my email a couple weeks ago and I will just tell you all about it over the phone. It is a food story so get excited!

So this past week... I bought my Christmas present! I bought a music player. So like I said EVERYTHING is different here so of course there are no plain CD players. So I had to buy this little thing that just reads music off of a little USB player. Trouble is getting music on to the USB... But no worries... I have it all figured out as long as Evan can help me out. So if you could please Evan put a load of MoTab (Christmas stuff too) on to the dropbox I can access it here. You are the best!

Work wise, it is progressing so well right now. We have 6 investigators with a date that are all really good investigators. This family that we are teaching right now is just dynamite! We met them while tracting the day of the big flood. We were walking along this path in the middle of jungle and we were pretty down cause we hit a dead end. All the sudden we hear this person yelling "Hello!" and this big family just waving at us and smiling. So me, being fairly new to the area, said, "Der, sino sanda?" (who are they, assuming they were members) He said "Indi ko alam der... perro mabait na mabait sanda, di ba?" (I dunno but they are really nice. eh?) But the river separating us has overflowed and the bridge washed out. So we started to talk to them and they were just so nice. So one guy waded across the river just to show us a different way to their house. They read all the time. One of the sons Dexter has a wife and a cute 1 month old baby and he is just the best investigator ever. He LOVED the plan of salvation. He reads the pamphlets not just once and reads from the BoM everynight. We hope to baptize his wife as well. It could be my own Turbyfield story, right? They are just awesome and I look forward to our visits everytime. So their date is Jan 29 2011.

Tayson is keeping up his commitment to quit smoking and does his reading as well. We are so happy for him and Jessa as they are steadily progressing. He showed us his homemade fireworks... ask in the phone call about them. They are insane and pretty dangerous. But I liked it because it is just simple chemistry... ha. We gave a date to one of investigators named Ellen Redison as well. She is nineteen and her sister-in-law and mother are also beginning the discussions. We have had the hardest time getting her to really work for her answer but she finally got it and we are good to go! This week has flown by and it seems like we are always playing catch up. We are walking everywhere and by the end of the day I just zonk out. I get so tired!

I am really excited for this one new investigator we got this week. We have barely been able to teach her because she is ALWAYS working at market. But I am super hopeful. She loves to have us around because her 3 yr old loves me. I am excited for this family because I am kind of in charge of it. We met at market when her three year old daughter saw and just climbed on to my lap. No words no prior acquaintance. We were at a members tindahan and she walked over. Gave me the BIGGEST CUTEST smile and climbed on my lap. She is literally the cutest little thing I've ever seen. Get me to tell you about little miss Devine in the phone call. She is the best. So since that is how we made the connection with her mom, I take control of building that relationship with her mom. Like we were stuck at market last night because the rain was horrible. So we went to their shop and I played with Devine and just talked about life with her Mom. I spoke Tagalog too... so that is good. So I hope I can help them. Funny story about Devine. The first day we played together I saw another little boy and told him to come give me a high 5. So he did and then ran to his mom just giggling. Devine stopped immediately and looked at me with the most serious face ever and just said "Indi." (No) So I of course asked "Haman indi?" (Why not?) So she just said "Indi... Indi Puwede. Ako- lang. (No you can't, just me) Haha. I am excited to tell you about my adventures here.

I am doing well and the language is inching along. I can teach lesson one by myself, but lesson 2 is way difficult still. People like me here and I like them. They are funny and just easy going. I am so excited to hear from you all on Saturday. Use the calling card to call me! I am beyond excited!

Blogs work great Krista thanks! And thanks so much for the card Shauna. I love you Paige Rafe and Olivia! And yes, consider it Terry and I's date to hit the slopes upon my return. Tayt and Zach are invited as well. I can be a double date. Thank you all for the continued support. You are all the best!

Marie! If you read this I need your new address for next semester.

Devyn! Thanks for the letter. I sent my letter last week to your house in Kansas so I hope you get it there.

Luke! Email me... How is the Peru planning going?

I love you all!

Elder Lowry


No comments:

Post a Comment