Monday, December 27, 2010

Week 15

Hello Family and Friends!

Thank you all so much for the Christmas wishes. It truly was different to be on the opposite side of the world for Christmas. But as my family can attest to I had a good one. I was able to finally talk to them late Christmas night for me and 4 in the morning for them... haha! But we finally were able to talk and it truly was wonderful! It was so nice to hear their voices and know they were doing well!

Christmas here is very different. There really isn't a Santa Claus tradition here in the Philippines. So that was different and people just give small very simple gifts. Due, most likely, to obvious circumstances (money). But it was a happy time for sure. We had our ward party on Christmas day. That is just what all the members wanted to do. It was like a big talent show where EVERYONE participated and we also played a lot of games! For some reason Elder Ordeniza and I were forced to participate in all the couples games so they thought that was a hoot. They laughed a lot and just had a good time. We also had a feast afterwards. Here in the Philippines they have party that say "BYOR" Bring your own rice... I at least thought it was hilarious. But the main course was Litson Baboy. Roasted Pig. They had it delivered and it was literally just two humongous pigs that were tied to a bamboo shoot and slow cooked over a fire. SO two high priests carved the pigs all night and they were devoured. Man it was good! Like I said, the party was just a big talent show. SO the primary performed a dance to Waka Waka, the song that Shakira recorded for the world cup! The Primary President was in the front doing the dance as well. It might have been my favorite. All the children danced and had the best time doing it. No one was shy and they were just adorable. Two of the primary girls also did a dance to the Justin Bieber song "First Love" or something like that (actually it's "baby"... and I'm alright with the fact that he didn't know that). (All Filipinos love that song) And right as they started another three year old little girl ran right in front of them and just jammed the entire song by herself. The most adorable thing ever! So needless to say, after this party I felt right at home and had a great night.

Dexter Alvares is just flourishing as an investigator. We love going over there and teaching to them and we gave his wife the same baptismal date as him. The only problem is we found out that they have not been married yet because Sister has a former husband that she is not divorced from yet. He is in Manila too. So now we are contacting president to get paperwork started... exciting no? Jokes, but this family is worth it and I really am excited to get it going so we can baptize them and prepare them for the temple. We are excited to teach the rest of his extended family. I think they will accept our message as well. And again, all from the day we went tracting with our slacks rolled up to our knees and tsinelas. We found a jackpot for sure. They came to church though and when we asked him about it he just replied again "Magaan sa loob" or my insides are lifted. That is how most people explain to us when they feel good about our message. I gave him a Liahona and he is reading Elder Bednar's last conference talk about receiving the Holy Ghost. He loves reading from the book of Mormon and so now we are really excited to have his wife join him.

The work is really moving along here and I feel like we will only keep progressing. Our goal for this next transfer is 30 teachings a week plus 5 more lessons taught to recent converts or less active families. SO that really makes for some busy days. But we are ready for it. We had 27 teachings this week and we didn't even get to proselyte on Christmas. I think that is one of the best indicators of the progressing work. I am done with my first transfer! I am not going anywhere, but my companion is District Leader so that will add a bit more work in a week... haha. We are definitely excited though. Transfers are fun here. The ZL conducts of course and then the two companions (before the are tole what will happen) have to take turns saying something to the other companion. Then the ZL writes on the board Transfer, Stay, DL, Train, etc and everyone claps. SO it is a fun time. I've heard that people stay in the Kalibo zone for a long time. Like 6- 8 months. So Im not nervous to leave for a while. The local dialect (Aklanon) is the toughest on the island so we get to stay here to try to learn it. I love it here in Banga though so I don't mind one bit.

The language is starting to take off a little bit. Things are moving faster and faster as I have the startings of a foundation. Things don't take me as long to learn and I can even understand a bit of Aklanon. I spend more time understanding then being lost. So I am not freaking out as much. I actually was able to give the baptismal commitment to Dexter's wife. SO I was really happy that she understood and said yes! I was so happy. That was my first time to give the commitment!

I am doing really well here. I love the people. I love the food. I am starting to get used to being the ONLY person with white skin and who speaks English. The stares don't bother me anymore and usually I use it to talk to them.

Fun story: We were walking home last night and these little kids just ran right up to us and new our names. It was dark so we didn't really recognize them but they were the cute little 7 yr old girls and their friends that live next door. They asked to walk home with us because it was dark and their parents didn't go to church with them. So, of course, we did. SO I had 4 little girls that all fought to hold my hand as we walked home. We also asked them if they wanted us to come to their house tomorrow and visit them and share a message with them. Of course they wanted us to... so tonight we are taking some visits to our neighbors to see if they want to hear our message. But it was just a fun walk home with these cute little girls who were very talented in Tagalog. So we could communicate very well (most little kids only speak Aklanon). I'm telling you, the little kids are beyond adorable here.

Marie: Send me that address ASAP because I need you to be the middle woman for me to send a letter to Joseph. I feel bad because I got his letter the day I left the MTC and wasn't able to write him back yet.

Devyn: It is weird seeing all that snow. It sounds like you are having a blast. Did you get my second letter? Congrats on your exams! What is your new address?

Mom: No package yet. It is just taking its own time I guess.

Dad: I expect a detailed report on UGA's bowl game. Don't let me down old man! Hopefully it will be a good game and you will be raising the roof!

I love you all so much!

Elder Lowry!

No comments:

Post a Comment