Monday, November 29, 2010

Week 11

Hey Family!

How are all of you?

Well, first of all i just want to thank you ALL so much this week for the mail. You have no idea how much it means to me. This week has been so tough. I am ok now. I got pretty sick on Tuesday and Wednesday. I threw up a lot and my digestive tract just has been off since then. I am slowly recovering. Everyone is so willing to help. My cards wouldn't work last week so my companion and I were living on practically nothing as he had to spend most of his money on a training meeting he had in Iloilo. I think we lived on about $10 this last week. But we are still here, no worries. Investigators just did not want to progress for us. We may not be able to have our baptism this week (she is just so shy). Her little sister is supposed to be baptized as well but we are still waiting on her Dad's consent. The language just seems to never move forward. I got really frustrated this week with it. I am studying and trying though. It is non stop heat here. And that doesn't bother me nearly as much as the rain. LIKE THREE TIMES A DAY. It is so frustrating, especially when you have to hang out your clothes to dry. I have been tried this week for sure.

So thank you thank you thank you ALL for helping me with your wonderful letters. I am starting to get more adjusted. This place is starting to just become my home. I am praying and fasting for that good attitude towards the people and the very different food and culture. It is easy to get angry and just think "Why can't you people just speak English?!" It is tough to sit through a conversation and not understand what is going on. I'm trying though and I know the Lord will provide. I have to keep reminding myself that I've only been here a week and 1/2. I will get it soon... I hope.

I realized at about 9 o'clock that night that it was Thanksgiving. Then it took me 1/2hr to explain to my companion what it was. The culture here is so different. I cannot even begin to explain. It is crazy. Ok so this is hilarious! While my comp was in Iloilo for training I went to Altavas to work with another American Elder. PHEW. People were ridiculously nice to us. Like yelling from across the market to get our attention (uncommon because they are so soft-spoken). When we would ride the moto's and we would wave to the school kids the girls would ALWAYS just scream and freak out... not to toot my own horn or anything, it was just SO funny. We had this guy that LOVED to drive us and he would always say "Ah Der! Guwapo kayo! You ride with me?!" So while the girls would yell at us we always teased him and said they were yelling at him. Everyone would also say "HEY JOE" It is a good time.

As for the language though. I am trying to learn Aklanon as well. It is so difficult and people speak a mixture a lot of times too. My head just spins while I am talking to people. It is tough... so tough

We taught a family that had their mother die the day before. We think they will be baptized. We always ask them how they feel after the lesson and she says she thinks it is true. But when someone dies in the Philippines they hold the viewing in their house and it is like an ongoing viewing for the next few days. They have food and a lot of gambling actually. It is different.

I am so glad to hear about Thatcher "playing with me" (Thatcher plays with an imaginary Scott almost every day). He would like these little Filipino boys, they are as crazy as he is. Just so you all know all the Filipinos ADORE the pictures I have of you. I show them all the time. They are just blown away with white skin and blue eyes. Krista, your husband is a popular one... good thing you have him tied down. Devyn, don't be surprised if you have some Filipino stalkers now. Sorry.

I think about you all often and think of what it is like at home. I miss it dearly. As much as I love this place, home is always above it. With communication barriers, no A/C, no money things can be tough. I know the Lord will take care of us all, though. It is so nice to know that you all are receiving blessing from my service as well. I know that if we endure our trials well the Lord will exalt us on high (DC 121). Whether we are tired, discouraged, poor, lonely, or whatever if we just trust in the Lord and continue the way we will be exalted on high. I remember a letter Dad sent to me while I was in Athens. He told me "Keep working hard son, you will always be surprised with what you can accomplish if you just never stop." That has been going through my mind a lot this week. Thanks Dad. I know that if I just keep going I will be surprised later on with my accomplishments. I have also been singing the lyric "He may be moving slow, but that don't mean he's going nowhere." That came to mind this week... haha. Thanks Norah. I'm cheesy.

I will try to get some good pictures today and email them next week. The natural beauty is just unlike anything else I have seen. The fresh coconuts are SO good. You don't even know. And the juice is my favorite. It is like a weird tasting sprite. I'm lucky to have so many so close. While I was in Altavas the Ward mission leaders lived with us and made us food the entire week. So delicious. I didn't eat too much because of my illness. Which turned out to be a blessing in disguise with our lack of money.

Krista, best way to send money is through my bank card so just ask Dad. I may need some money so could you please check the balance. I am still just trying to get on my feet from arriving and getting over my expenses from only drinking super purified water and sprite (which was expensive). I still need to buy some little things to get comfortable here. Like so things to wipe my face from the constant sweat, hangers for drying clothes, etc. After this I should really be good to go. Love you all!

Devyn! I will write you a letter tonight and try to send it tomorrow. Sorry, things have been so insane with getting here and being sick. I will repent though. Those pictures came through really well. Thank you so much for writing me! I had a wonderful Thanksgiving proselyting all day. Thanks also for all the scriptures. You are just the best. Good luck on your finals and no worries. You will do fine. If not, just marry rich. I'm kidding

I love you all so much! I miss you all with all my heart. But I have work to do here and I will be able to be with you all again before too long. Hold in there and let the Lord work in your lives.

Please pray for us and we will work hard.

I get to talk to you all again soon!

Yours truly,

Elder Lowry

oh p.s- Matthew- GO DAWGS!!!! I'm kidding of course. Just think of it this way. In only five years the bumble bees should be up for another victory. who knows though eh?


-----------------------------------------

Note from the editor: Hey guys! So I am not sure I posted this already but even if I did, the best way Scott has said to communicate with him (lucky for us) is through e-mail! That makes it super easy to drop a line! Even if you don't want to write an email, leave a comment or shoot me an email/FB message and I'll be MORE than happy to pass it along to him!

His email address is:

scottl@myldsmail.net

And as you can see, it means SO MUCH to him to hear from you-- from ANYBODY! Even if you think he doesn't want to hear from you, it would mean the world to him if you sent him some encouragement.

Much love to you all, Scott's sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment