Monday, October 11, 2010

Week 4

Kumusta ang pamilya ko

How is everyone doing? I am doing well here at the MTC, no worries. This week just flew right by and I feel like I just wrote about my third week yesterday. I'm really excited because this week is our halfway point here at the MTC and the time only seems to be speeding up. I have my last lesson in English this week and after Thursday our teachers will no longer speak to us in English at all. I have learned as much Tagalog as it took me like two to three years in school to learn Spanish. It truly is remarkable. Wednesday (as part of our weekly district goals) we are all going on an English fast. That means from 9 AM - 9 PM on Wednesday we will not speak a single word of English. So this should be rather interesting. We know how to say what we want to say, for the most part, but thinking about it and actually doing it are completely different.

So yesterday I gave my first talk lahat sa tagalog (all in Tagalog). It was 5 minutes long and I thought I actually did really well. I wrote the talk all by myself and when I got my teacher to proofread it he only changed little things like pronouns. So I felt super accomplished and even my teacher said he was impressed with what I was able to write. I will send my rough draft home so you all can look at it. I will just bear my testimony at the end of the email (because I didn't write it in my talk).

This week should be really interesting also because we start to teach (as a district) an investigator (one of Bro Nordstrom's past investigator) in Tagalog too. So the language is becoming more and more enforced and stressed. I feel pretty comfortable though. This Thursday night we have to teach a volunteer how to pray. So giving instructions has been our main focus this weekend. This last week we had to take our investigator to church on a "jeepney." It wasn't really one, but they are really in the Philippines. They look so cool! They are the public transportation in the Philippines and it is basically a school bus without a back door and people just jump off the back when they are done. Look them up, they really look cool and it will be awesome to ride on them everyday. They remind me of that bus they have at Cali-n-titos (an AMAZING restaurant in Athens).

The new district came in this last week. They are all really cool and they will fit in with the zone really well. Tonight we are having a "zone splits" activity where we all go on splits for a night and teach the first lesson. I am paired up with an elder from one of the older districts. We did it the first week I was here too and I learned a lot from the Elder I was paired up with, so I am excited for these new elders to have the opportunity to work with someone older. And it will be nice to teach the first lesson again since we have been focusing on lesson 2 & 3 for the past two weeks.

I heard about UGA and UT! GO DAWGS! It's about time they get a conference win, eh? I have a really good friend from the other Tagalog zone named Elder Barrett and he is from around Knoxville. His family emailed him and told him. He told me yesterday though that he received revelation and had the impression that Georgia won. You guys would love him. He would fit in with the Crunks. We play basketball together everyday.

Also, I NEED UPDATES ON THE BRAVES, HELLO!?! They are only in the playoffs... GEEZ. I have had to rely on my teachers for these kinda things. But, my teachers cannot tell me what is happening on the blog. So that is a must.

Question answering time:
1. Everyone in my zone is Tagalog speaking so they are going somewhere in the Philippines
2. My district and the distric older are the districts they are using to fill Iloilo and Baccolod mission so practically everyone is going to either of those missions with Naga and Baggio being the exceptions
3. The new temople is nowhere near my mission, it is on the main island of Luzon and just North of Manila. It is in the Baggio mission and the mission will be renamed urdineta? Also everyone in my room is going to Iloilo. So atleast I have three other elders that I have become really close with for our 30+ hours of travel.
I love you all and I will just write my testimony with my talk and you can put it on the blog because I have like 30 seconds left. Sorry
Scott
Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment