Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Week 3

HEY EVERYONE! So here we go, embarking on week number four! I only have six weeks left. The older districts all left this morning. So last night was a special night. We sang "God be with You til We Meet again" and "Nearer my God to Thee" two really beautiful hymns. We took alot of pictures and signed each other's journals. It was sad, but very exciting at the same time. I can't wait to meet the new district that comes in on Wednesday. I am also really hoping that we get an apostle for the Devotional tomorrow night because they should all still be in town from conference. Keep your fingers crossed!
So I wrote Dad back regarding Elder Pilling and I really hope you have gotten it by now because I don't want to ruin the surprise over a email because the letter was much more in depth. But YES! Elder Pillin is Mark Pilling's son and Gaelynd Pilling's grandson. (**From the editor: Mark Pilling was/is my Dad's best friend growing up in Magrath, Alberta Canada. Sounds like he's in the MTC with Scott! Can you say Small World?!!) We both just flipped out when I asked him and we both felt stupid for not connecting the dots. We had both heard stories about our Dad's doing crazy things together. I included Mark's contact info with the letter. I smell a reunion vacation in two years! They have a ranch right outside of Waterton we could visit them during the summer at. Crazy, eh?
How about my MTC choir repping it at the Priesthood session?! Awesome? I think so. They did such a good job and I knew like 15- 20 of them really well. I was so happy that their families were able to see their faces while singing some beautiful hymns to the prophet. I know that ALL of their families burst into tears as soon as they saw them... I know I was about to. It really stinks that I couldn't do it (i got here just a week too late), but all is well. Maybe I will get a chance to sing in general conference a different time. Watching conference here truly was a treat. It was a relaxing weekend of watching all the sessions, taking notes, and having conference reviews after each session. We would just sit in the classroom and talk about what we learned and how it can be applied to making us better missionaries and servants of the Lord.
the most spiritual experience I've had all week has been in a workshop that my district attended. It was just us nine with this guy who served in Rome, Italy. He gave us a lesson how to plan for someone's conversion and then we got to practice on his character Nicolas (who was a real person he taught and all his stories were true). We started teaching him and got him to open up to us. He has honestly had the hardest life I've ever heard. His Dad died when he was little and he told us about all the hard things he has gone through since. We had been focusing on listening all this week so we just let him talk. We were all in tears as he told us about his life over the past decade and how he had given up on God. NO ONE had any idea how to teach this guy. We were all clueless. So after some silence and tears I taught him that God does love him. He knows him personally and wants him to be happy. We can never know why He wants us to go through the trials we go through, but we just need to focus on how we endure them. I told him that he could live with his earthly and heavenly father again one day. I told him that it was possible for him to hug his Dad that he loved so much again. After some more silence I spoke again and felt like he needed to hear about the atonement. So I explained that to him and told him that it was through the atonemnet that he could see his Dad and be with his whole family again. Then I just had the thought to ask him to take advantage of the atonement and to be baptized. So I just did it. He accepted and really seemed to perk up when I told him he could be washed clean of his sins. Afterward the teacher told us to NEVER be afraid to be bold and extend an invitation to be baptized. Baptism is for everyone! It is the gateway to heaven. I know this was just a class, but it was the most real thing I've ever felt in my life. That poor guy was so lost and wanted to do the right thing, but he just didn't know where to find it. If I can have just ONE experience like this in the field my mission will be completely worth it. It really reminded me of the scripture D&C 121: 7- 9 "...and if thou shalt endure it well, behold I will exalt thee on high." Our trials are but for a short time... let's make sure we show God we can endure them well.
Elder Holland's talk really spoke to me this weekend. I cried when he thanked his parents for his mission experience. Everyone did. I cannot even begin to express how I feel to you all for allowing me to experience this. I am so deeply thankful for the sacrifices you all make to allow me to be here. I love you all so very much. The Lord loves you all so very much. I know this to be true. He WILL make this experience worthwhile to all of us. I just hope one day I can really show my gratitude to you for all your support and love. I think and pray for you all everyday and I love every minute I spend thinking about or reading letters from you all. Keep 'em coming! You are the best family a missionary could ask for!
Can't wait to hear back from all of you!
Hugs and Kisses all around.
Can you give a copy to the bishop or something? I got letters from Tim tippett and the Smith family. Please give them a HUGE thanks and hug from me! You all are great!
Love,
Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment