Monday, October 31, 2011

Week 59

Hello family!

This was another awesome wee in Miag-ao!  I am way happy right now with how the progress is going.  Again, we were just short of our attendance goal with 35.  We had a family that has been way consistent lately that didn't make it to church.  They have 5 people that always come... SO CLOSE!  We would've hit the goal!  I'm not too worried about it though... it will happen.  It is way good though that we stayed really high.  If you remember, the last week we had 36, so we are really showing consistency.  Also, we haven't dipped below 25 since I have been here.  8 months ago that goal would have been laughed at.  

What made this week so awesome was definitely our correlation with the Branch yesterday.  Correlation is something these people struggle with.  But yesterday we had our Stake President, Pres. Torres, to lead the correlation.  This guy is the man and just gets things done.  We were able to report how well the branch is doing.  He said that in January we need to have 2 more men worthy to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and he would send the request to Salt Lake City to make a new branch! We definitely have two guys we are working with!!! That process in SLC will probably take 3 months so we are planning to make the group into a branch in April 2012! You have no idea how excited I was.  I almost just lost it.  President himself admitted that a couple months ago he thought Miag-ao would be branch material in like 2014... but now we are setting plans for April!  We are now working on just getting the members so excited! They have been waiting so long for this.  Once they are a branch they will have their own budget and we can rent a place that is bigger and right in the middle of town.  

We also had a way cool experience... with a snake!  Don't worry I never saw it while it was alive.  But we got to a members house last Saturday like two minutes after they had killed an 8+ foot snake.  It was humongous.  They had completely severed the head with a big machete, but it would still move and react if you touched it! I was trippin way hard!  Then the brilliant idea came to Elder and I to ask for the skin.  So they skinned the snake right there or us! (They were about to clean it to eat it anyway)  Then we luckily heard about this guy who works with snake skins alot that lived clear across town.  We washed the skin in ocean water (to preserve it) and found this guy.  We luckily found him and for 500 P each we are getting each a snake skin belt and a wallet or two made!  All from the same snake!  We are gonna be the rockingest companions in the zone conference later this month.  Like I have had comp ties and comp pants... but this tops all the best comp items I've heard of! Elder Gowey and I are pretty darn proud of ourselves right about now!

Anyways! I think I am about done... nothing else big happened this week! We are doing really well here and I am excited or another week  o work and experiences.  It seems like the crazy things always sneak up on you... then you sit down that night and just say.. Dang Elder, that was sweet.  I am gonna cut this letter off here, though, because we have a Halloween party tonight that we have to get ready for.  They don't do anything crazy for Halloween.  It is called All Saints Day and it is November. They just make some food and leave it up for their deceased friends and Saints.   I haven't asked too much about it.  That is just what I have heard.  

I love you all and miss you all so much!  It is so nice to hear from you all... keep 'em coming!

Halong

Elder Lowry

p.s.- Marie! I thought that name was hilarious.  Good find.  I wrote you a letter either last week or the week before.  Get Excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment