Monday, September 19, 2011

Week 53

Well Hello Everyone!

So this week was a pretty good one here in Miag-ao. We are really working hard out here and constantly keeping that goal of becoming a branch in mind. I had to give a talk this last Sunday and talked about how only 50 years ago the first Elders came to the Philippine Islands and now there are over 600,000 members in the islands. I emphasized that Miag-ao has only been open for 3 years and how much can happen in the next 50 years. Not only becoming a branch, or a ward, but becoming a self- sufficient stake. I told them to keep in mind that the Lord WILL do his work here in Miag-ao and all we have to do is decide if we are in or out. So I encouraged them to make the decision that they are going to be a part of the Lord's work.

I think that is something I have thought about a lot. Especially being a missionary. That the Lord is no doubt going to finish his work whether or not Elder Lowry decides to be a part of it. The only decision that has to be made is whether or not I want to be part of it. I will never be able to do so much that my name is remembered for years and years here. but if I just do what the Lord expects of me and can be remembered by him as a servant who did what he was supposed to. Just like the 2,000 stripling warriors never made a name for themselves individually, but as a group they will never be forgotten as soldiers who obeyed with exactness and trusted the Lord. That is what I have been trying to do more of this week. Not to make people remember Elder Lowry, but to just be the good missionary that is needed right now. Then my name will be remembered by the people who matter the most.

We had some pretty good success with our investigators this week and even got a good number out to church. We are on track to baptize a good part member family kid next month. His name is Francis Drilon. I was really excited this last week because we actually got 4 Melchizedek Priesthood holder out to our meetings. We will have to work to get some of them cleaned up and ready to take on responsibilities in a branch... but we got 4! That, by the way, is the minimum requirement to become a branch. So it is a good doal for this group to have it's eyes set on becoming a branch in April of next year. I would love to see it happen in October, but it just isn't enough time to get our Elder's quorum ready. We have an avg. of about 30 people at church and it looks like it will steadily climb from there. So that is the biggest thing we are focusing on right now. Helping our Elder's quorum to become what it needs to be so we can move up to branch level here. If we add another ten or twenty to or attendances we will be able to rent a small space in town and make a more official meeting place that we have right now.

I'm trying to think of much more to tell you all, but not much is coming to mind right now. I am having alot of fun and trying to still get fully adjusted here. Oh... the language. Lots of people asked about the language. It is coming pretty slowly, but it is coming. It is closer to Aklanon than it is to Ilongo and so I can hear it easier than if I had never been to the Aklan. However, it is still different and tricky to catch on to. The thing about the Philippines is that EVERYONE has to go through language barriers like that. So they are used to this sort of thing. It is not uncommon at all for a person to be more used to Tagalog and so they always speak Tagalog to everyone. Even though everyone else will respond in Ilongo or Karay-a. So conversations very often will happen in two separate languages. I will speak Ilongo and they will reply in Karay-a. I understand what they say to me and they understand what I say to them, it is just using two different mediums. It is weird, but works.

Well, I love you all and I am excited for another week of work here in Miag-ao. (pronounced Mee-ag - owww... like the Miag and the ao should be separated by a glottal stop and the ao should not be mixed with the g sound. Like two separate words) People are picky here about pronunciation. I pray for you all and love you all so much!

isa ka pinalangga,

Elder Lowry

In a separate email he told me a few interesting things I thought I'd share...

Our new apartment is the downstairs of a retired sea captain. It is really quite big and all tile. Like a marble theme or something. Everything but the bedroom is open to the outside. Like metal gates instead walls and windows that have no screens. So you always feel the breeze and hear the waves... not the best for privacy, however. I will make that sacrifice though. Then we always get our hair cuts out. But yes we do have electricity. Just no air con. Electric fans are missionary best friends. About hair cuts though... they are all FLAMING gay. Gay guys in the philippines is a story for when I get home. It is too funny and too detailed to attempt to email soorry. But keep that question in mind because it is weird and funny and just excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment