Monday, September 12, 2011

Week 52! Half way mark!

So Here goes the second half of my mission, eh?!

This week has been a really busy one. It feels like a long time since I have been able to write you all as so much has happened. SO yes, I got transferred. I don't really think anyone, but missionaries can really know how tough it is to transfer. I struggle to adapt quickly and it makes for a long first week. But I am starting to really like this area and I am really excited to get working here. I am now here in Miag-oa Area in the Iloilo zone. It still isn't a "city" mission, but it is much bigger of a city than Banga or Manoling. I am south of Iloilo city and RIGHT on the beach. You all would be so jealous of where I am living right now. There are NO houses between ours and the ocean. We look out our window and see nothing but ocean. We fall asleep every night to the waves. So I am really excited for how beautiful of a place this is. And also we have some of the best seafood I have ever had. The shrimp are huge and the fish are so fresh. I just feel like I am bragging now... haha.

Here in Miag-ao there is only a tiny group. Only about thirty go to church and we meet in a member's old broken down house. Missionary work only opened here about two years ago... so we are some of the very first Elders here. The work is proving to be pretty tough. It is hard to explain where the church is to people and sometimes if they go to church they won't come back... because it is a little house. So we are really trying our best to get our members to go to church. If we had ALL our members going to church every week we would become a branch and get a chapel. We need a chapel before the work with investigators will really take off. And with becoming a branch we need more priesthood holders. We are still lacking about 4 of those. Needless to say, it will be tough here. But it will be ok, i think, as I have beautiful scenery to keep me motivated.

With this transfer I have tried to be much more accepting. I think I struggle when there is too much change and I find it hard to just accept it. It has been way tough to just leave everything behind in Manoling and come here to Miag-ao. The work style is really different and how we teach is really different. When the area AND the companion both change it is just hard for me to adjust and accept it all. I kept in mind however that I wanted to work on adjusting to the area and everything better and I did pretty well, I think. I really liked going to church and actually got to teach primary again. So I am excited to actually get a program here started for them. I will make some songs for them and really get the kids excited for church as well.

My new companion is actually American and a way nice guy. His name is Elder Gowey and is from Arizona... close to Phoenix. he goes home in another transfer... So I will be his last companion most likely. It is crazy being with a companion who is about to go home. He is still focused and I am excited to get working with him. This is my first time being companions with an American though. It is kinda weird to just have two Americans and no Filipinos. It is weird to be able to speak real English with him.

Also... they have a different language here. NOOOOOO. It is called Karay-a and is the language from Antique. It is pretty close to Ilongo, but it is still different. This island is crazy with all their languages. SO now I am speaking yet another dialect and I loathe learning more languages. Lucky for me, I don't think I will encounter anymore. I am familiar with Tagalog, Aklanon, Ilongo and soon to be Karay-a. There is only Cebuano left and no place speaks only Cebuano here... so I should be fine. Keep my language skills in your prayers because it is not always the easiest thing to do.

Well. I don't think I have much else to say for this week. I am doing way great here and I love working as a missionary. It really does feel like a year has gone by, but at the same time it feels just like a short while longer until I come home. The crazy thing is, is that I will probably still be in this area when I get to call home for Christmas. Only like three more months left until then.

I love you all so much!

Halong,

Elder Lowry

Devyn and Hannah- Wrote you both letters and sent them! Get excited.

Marie- Thanks so much for the update. I want to write you back so give me your address!

Shelby and Michael- I got your letters while I was in Manoling and couldn't write back I have your letters and will send them tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment