Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 48





Hello Family!

So this week went exactly according to plan. In fact it was probably even better than I had planned. I am a very happy missionary right now to say the least! I am sending some pictures with this email! Get excited! So to say the least, the baptisms happened and we had a bunch of people to support them. We also have a baptism this weekend. SO we are very happy missionaries... but very busy. We also have a week full of meetings in far away cities. I will be even happier next week when it has all happened and I am not nearly as busy like I am now.

Eriel and Linda's baptism was so nice. We had very strong support from the ward and everyone seemed so happy for them. My favorite part, I think, was an idea that our ward missionary gave to us. We had two primary kids give there testimonies after the talks were done. They spoke so simply and expressed their excitement that these two girls were able to be baptized. The Spirit was so strong as they stood up and, very nervously, spoke about the church. It was such a nice day for a baptism and we all had a little party afterward. I was also really excited as I got to baptize them. I told them how lucky they were that they get to be baptized in a river just like Jesus Christ.

Rimya Tungala is also getting baptized this weekend. She is really excited and she has been wanting to become a member for over 3 years. She has just recently been able to get married to her husband and now she can finally get baptized. We were going to have it on the 27th of August, but there is a stake activity that day and none of the members will be in town if her baptism is also on that day. So we decided sooner rather than later and so we have been scrambling around to get everything for her baptism this weekend. I am making another invitation as week speak.

So Krista asked me some good questions that I will just include here. As for the kids they usually can go to school. They are way small and overcrowded, but the kids LOVE it. But it has a tuition and sometimes the parents just can't afford it. Right now we are teaching a family that none of the kids are able to go to school. School, especially in my area right now, is a privilege to these kids. Very different from my attitude towards school at home. The church organization here is all the same. In fact, the new area president for the Philippines is actually a Filipino now. She also wanted an update on me. I am doing really well right now. I really am loving this area and working here. I never really thought I could love another area as much as Banga... but Manoling is just impossible not to love. I love every minute of talking to the awesome members and teaching new people. The kids are also the most adorable things I have ever laid my eyes on. They are so loving and fun and just awesome. Any time they walk with us anywhere they hold your hand and just talk about anything with you.

Dad also asked me about why my invitation was in English. Most of the church stuff is in English here. The Filipino pride is that they understand English. They always seem to "brag" about that. So it kinda hurts their pride to do official things in Ilonggo or Tagalog. Speaking should most always be in their language, but typing is usually in English. So that's that.

And the last picture is the ugliest chicken I've ever seen in my life. I thought you would agree. I got a good laugh from it.

I love you all so much and appreciate this opportunity I have to be here in the Philippines and experience what I am experiencing. I pray for you all everyday and think of you all often!

Halong kamo

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment