Monday, January 31, 2011

Week 20

Hello Everyone!

Things are going well here in the Philippines!

This week has been a good week of work for Elder Ordeniza and I. We are truly working hard and we are having some good success. We weren't able to get Dexter and Merlinda an interview because Dexter had to work that day. But they will hopefully be interviewed before our zone meeting in early February. Like two weeks from now I think. So we are still holding our breaths that we will be able to work something out for them! We got 30 teachings again this week. Phew... that just makes you tired at the end of the week. But happy, and a sense of accomplishment. It is a good goal to have. We got 10 teachings on Saturday. We could have gotten 3 more but some of our investigators were already asleep and one part member family the dad had already started drinking. Maybe next week we will try for 13 again. haha. We decided to visit ALL of our investigators on Saturdays from now on just to help our church attendance. But sadly, this week, none of our 10 teachings went to church. Hopefully our efforts this week will be more fruitful.

So transfer week is next week. I am going on three months here in the Philippines pretty soon. That is insane, eh? I have only 10 more months on my mission. I have so much more to do. I swear this is not enough time. (It's not Scott, you're right. So I think you'll be happy when you realize you actually have way more than 10 months left! Twice that, in fact. As Levi would say... "Coo-coo, coo-coo...") My companion is getting transferred. I know because President assigned a district leader (my companion is DL). We are a really close district so there really is no element of secrecy. haha. So it is kinda weird thinking about this change coming up. I imagine it will be my turn to train. I am scared to death that I might have to train an American. Man. I need to pick up this language quickly! So I am almost guaranteed to stay here. I really really doubt I will leave Banga the Beautiful. Banga Banga Beautiful Banga, Banga Banga Banga city that I love! Me and my companion decided that Banga is the new Zion and switched the names... I know I know.... we are clever and funny.

So I have gotten a bunch of Scripture reading suggestions. thank you all so very much. I read them and study them. So thank you again. I have a good question for all of you though (and it is one that has taken me until now to be proud about) How is your reading of the recent General Conference talks? I think it deserves a bit of attention. We learned from two talks last General Conference the 14 Fundamentals of following the prophet. #3 "The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet. Now that struck me hard the last time I read that. Those talks are written for us by men who live among us in the same crazy world that we live in. SO that has been my new goal. That I spend time with my nose in the Ensign (esp. the Gen Conf edition) a whole lot more. I have found some real great treasures in there. For my work as a missionary and as just an individual. Really though, it is awesome. Richard G Scott is still the man and President Utchdorf still rocks my socks. Elder Holland is bearing testimony like he was there for the restoration and President Monson is still the best example of a consecrated life we have. Read it. Feast on it.

So my cute story of the day has to do with my picture. Like 15 kids (there were more that didn't want to take a picture) came up to our house and just wanted to hang out in front our house Sunday afternoon. They are really nice little neighbors. So I gave them a bunch of silly bands and stickers. They loved it. The little kids here are so much fun and I love them dearly. Sometimes when the work is slow and investigators drop us or don't progress we just have to take a minute and play with the kids. They boost our spirits and recharge our motives to work hard. They are so cheerful and just want to have fun. With simple things. We played baseball with bamboo and not yet ripened papayas. They will play with ANYTHING and have more fun than I've ever had in my life.

I love it here in the Philippines. It is beautiful. It is green. It is hot and humid. I love the people. They are wonderful simple people who love the Lord. I am trying my best to help them in their journey to return to our Savior. I am thankful for all the sacrifices made at home to make this mission possible. I love you all at home and pray for you each night. Remember that I do and know that the Lord is with us if we obey his commands.

Luke! I got your letter. thanks so much. I love and miss you brother. If someone could get me his Peru address that would be awesome. Emily! Thank you so much for the note. I hope things are going so well for you in good ol Georgia.

Devyn. Your letters are great don't worry. I wish there was a more efficient way for my to respond!

Hannah Banana! Go you and your letter and email writing. I loved the Who What where pictures. Good thinking! Thanks for keeping me updated on your play. I am excited to see a video when I get home. Thanks for filling me in on the song's name. The Filipinos have probably thought I'm retarded for not knowing that.

Krista! Thanks for the Dear elder! I agree with you. Don't risk your children for sending me letters. Dear elder and email will do. That'll do. That'll do. Always and Forever. (I literally laughed out loud at your song)

Mom and Dad. I love you two! I miss you both as well and think about you often. I am so thankful for you. Keep working hard and we will all be blessed.

Elder Lowry.

No comments:

Post a Comment