Monday, February 7, 2011

Week 21

Hello Family and Friends!

I am doing well here in the Philippines! So I am pretty nervous right now. We had our transfer meeting today. My companion is getting transferred to a different district to become district leader again. An it was announced that I will be the only trainer this transfer in our whole zone. I am scared scared scared I am going to get an American companion. PHEW! My heart is thumping right now just typing those words to you all. I can't even express to you how daunting that task would be. I got the phone call yesterday at church. President spoke alot of Tagalog to me (which in retrospect I shouldn't have spoken it back to him) probably to get a grasp of my language. It was weird hearing Tagalog from him, even though he IS Pinoy and from Luzon (a very Tagalog place, other places in the Philippines aren't very good at Tagalog). He is very good at English and I haven't heard him speak Tagalog before that phone call. So I am going back to Iloilo for the first time in a long time on Thursday along with my trainer to pick up my trainee. They call the trainer Tatay (Dad) and the Trainee Bata (child). I am excited but with a nervous excitement. It is hard to believe that the work in Banga is MY responsibility to continue. So I am praying alot for help. Some help in those prayers will be greatly appreciated! So Friday I will get my new companion!

This week was a tough week and the work seemed as slow as molasses compared to the previous month. I am ready to get out and try again this week. We had some really hopeful investigators drop us. It rained nonstop all week and tracting was just no good because people would just hide from us. We did't have anyone attend church. Dexter's grandmother died yesterday. We are going to their house later this afternoon to help them set up for the funeral. So it has just been one of those weeks. This week will be slow as we have to get Elder Ordeniza ready to go from living here for 6 months. We have to get the apartment ready for the new missionary and get a new missionary settled in. Two days of the week I will be out of town and in Iloilo. I am excited for that! It should make for an exciting week!

I made myself a man in my eyes this week. About a month ago I saw some Filipinos climb up a coconut tree to get the coconuts. It was amazing. These things are not small by any means. I mean they are SO SO SO tall. They did it shirtless and barefoot. It was amazing. So I said I wanted to try it. So about two weeks ago I saw a nice tall one that I thought I could do. So I asked Elder Ordeniza if he thought I could do it. He told me I would only make it half way up. He was right. My feet hurt (I had to do it like the Filipinos of course I kept my shirt on though.) and it was WAY high already. So I came down ashamed and decided it would have to wait. Yesterday I went to the very same tree and climbed up the full thing! It was awesome. I felt good. Even though my feet got cut up and my arms hurt the rest of the day. It was rewarding. I mean like over fifty feet. I will send some pictures soon.

Krista sent me back a part of my email this week. Of course I meant to put 19 months to go. So I apologize for any confusion that caused. The 0 and the 9 are right next to each other. I will proof read my letters from now on. I do not have more than double 10 months left though crazy lady.

Thanks Dad for the address for Luke! I will try to send him a letter here in the next couple days!

Devyn! I'm glad you got some letters! Those are so old haha

So this next email should be full of interesting stories. I am excited to write it more than I think you are to read it. I am hoping that I will become a good trainer for this new missionary. I am working hard and think of you all often. I miss you all dearly and pray for your success!

Go Mom for getting your License back!

Halong,

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment