Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Week 104

Hello Family!

Well It is here.  I am going to hit my two year mark this week!  How do I feel about it?... I feel great and I am really pumped for these next 4 weeks I have to be a missionary and to finish the  work I have here.  This has been a tough week of work but I have enjoyed trying my best to help others.  I really hope I can make a bit more progress in this area before I have to leave this place.  I hope to get some momentum... It has been such a struggle for us here to get any energy in the work and get people to get excited for the message.  I don't know what the problem is right now but the work seems a little stuck.  I have been trying really hard to get it moving again, but it just doesn't seem to want to budge.  Let me explain:

We have had lots of people baptized here in Jordan over the past year... Maybe 12- 15... About three of them are still super strong.  The others are just struggling.  My problem with this situation is I don't feel comfortable with adding to the 15 without fixing the leak.  The leak is proving really tough to fix... So that is what I am focusing on.  how do I help these people rekindle the fire that they had just in the recent months?  There are lots of problems in the lives of our recent converts and it is hard to help them prioritize their lives and to put God above all other things.  So now you all know what concerns me about the area I am assigned in right now.  I am still trying to find some solutions.  

We have had lots of fun though... today was one of the funner p- days I have had on my mission.  We went to a cave down in my area that was right on the beach.  We had a blast exploring the big old cave and then we payed a guy to let us climb his coconut trees and get some fresh coconuts to eat on the beach!  I'm talking we were stuffed from drinking the juice and eating the flesh.  The were perfectly ripe and the juice tasted like a funny sprite (which is the best kind).  Then Elder Loe remembered that he had brought his football.  So we tossed the football around on the beach and then went home.  We wanted to play basketball but it started pouring... so we went in frontt of the provincial capital and played football in the pouring rain.  People thought it was the craziest thing to have ten missionaries playing football (which they have never sen before) in the pouring rain.  We had people videoing us and taking pictures the entire time.  Man, we ruined our clothes but had the most fun I've had in a LONG LONG time.  We had a blast teaching out Filipino buddies the art of Football.  Even they said they hope it rains next week!  We got lots of pictures and I can't wait to show them all to you.

They work has been going well with regards to some of our less active families.  We are really seeing, slowly but surely, some changes in the lives.  We are really striving to help them make more gospel habits and it is slow tedious work.. and tiring.  We are working really closely with the Ogaya family wand we have most of the family coming to church every week.  They are going through lots of trials right now so it is good to see them draw closer to the church when they are struggling.  I know that they will be able to make it through in one piece.  We are also seeing some success with Sister Amor and her family.  Her daughter Lovellia even came this Sunday and enjoyed her church attendance.  I am seeing that she is really getting the gospel fire back in her right now.  

We also saw some set backs here with some people we are working with.  People here love to hide from missionaries... it doesn't really make sense to me (probably because I am a missionary)... but we are the easiest people to get away if you really don't want to listen to us.  Why hide?  It just makes me laugh and think how childish people can be sometimes.  

We are working hard here in Jordan and I am super excited for this next week of adventures.  I am having a blast here and love the work.  I know the church is true and this is the Lord's work that I am doing.  I hope everything is all well on the homefront and no problems.  Graham is getting ready to leave here soon.  I am so excited for him to get the mission experience.  It has been such a ride and I know he will love it.  

I love you all!

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment