Monday, August 20, 2012

Week 101

Hello Family!

This has been another good week of hard work here in Jordan!  We had some good success and we are still struggling with some of our investigators and members to "choose the better part" when it comes to Sunday activities.  I'll talk more about that later.  The big news for this week happened yesterday... We were at the church early waiting for a couple more people to show up so we could start our PEC meeting President Pagaduan called.  I answered and he had his usual small talk asking how I was doing and stuff and then he asked to talk to my companion.  So I called Elder Johnson over and they talked... turns out my companion is going to be an office Elder as the supply manager.  So he is leaving TODAY to go be trained as the supply manager.  So for the next two weeks I will be on splits here in Jordan until Transfer Day on the 28th.  I am excited for him to be an office Elder I think he will learn alot.  He is super nervous... mostly because he is just a nervous person and doesn't handle pressure very well.  We will just have to see how he does... I am confident he will rise to the task.

I have been thinking about the Sabbath Day alot since that is such a challenge for people in this country.  They just get so caught up in the mundane everyday things of life and find it hard to pick what to do on Sundays.  I have though lots and it really just comes down to what Jesus said to correct Martha and said, "choose the better part."  Out of all the good things she could have been doing for Jesus Christ like cooking food or cleaning the house... Mary had the mentality that the most important thing she ould do at that time was to listen to the words of the Master.  And that is what set her apart from Martha.  She focused on the best thing to do rather than a million good things she could be making herself busy with.  That is such a good and difficult trait for us as people to obtain.  That is what I think a big struggle fr alot of people here is... to pick the better par when it comes to Sunday.  Some people think it is ok to miss church to go do a service project or to help a friend... but the best thing we can possibly do is to sit and learn from God though his servants.   I am still trying to find a good way to helo them actually go from hearing this message to applying it to their lives.  It is always pretty tough.  

We had another good success with a family this last week.  The Ogaya family came to church (with the exception of Brother... still not quite there yet) and they all seemed to really love it.  We had a FHE at their house last night and just had a blast.  The cool thing about this FHE was that they asked for us to have it.  So they are really getting more and more excited for the gospel and we are really seeing some improvements with them.  Another one has been this part member family tat we have been working with since I got here.  The mother has come to church now twice and is just loving it.  We still need to get the rest of the family on board but again... it's progress I'm looking for.  The work here really is pretty difficult and for some reason people here have a harder time keeping commitments.  I am looking to evaluate my efforts again this week and make some changes.  

This next week ought to be fun as I will be in a tripanionship with the Zone leaders.  We are excited for it as well.  We are going to Iloilo right after this to go drop off Elder Johnson and eat some lunch.  Both Elder Faran and Elder Doig are good buddies of mine and we are gonna have a blast working together.  I am just excited and making lots of plans for the upcoming weeks.  Some of my last in the Philippines... we've got so much to do in so little time!!!!! Man I love this place, but at the same time I am so excited to come home and see everyone again.  My mind is one confused place right now.  But no worries... I am working hard and loving every minute of it!

I love all of you and can't wait to see all of your faces again in a few weeks!!! It is so close.  I love my mission and am doing great.  See you all soon

Halong,

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment