Sunday, December 11, 2011

Week 65

Hello Family!

This week was quite a busy one for me here on the islands.  We had tons of traveling and tons of fun as well.  It has really hit me this week just how close Christmas is now.  I think with it being so hot and stuff... it has tried to just sneak by me this year.  I think one thing that helped me realize that it was indeed Christmas was the Christmas themed zone conference we had and then, of course, the First Presidency Christmas Devotional I got to attend last night.  It is weird to think of where I was this time of year last year.  I was still with my trainer up in Banga, Aklan and worrying about never being able to speak this language.  I was only three months out on my mission and, compared to now, knew absolutely nothing about the Filipino culture.  I think this Christmas will be alot more enjoyable for me just because I know how to interact with these people more and learn how to enjoy Christmas the Filipino way. 

So lets break this week down a bit.  I will start with the Christmas Zone Conference.  We had an awesome conference in Iloilo this last Friday.  Sister Pagaduan went all out for a way nice lunch.  I mean it was some of the most delicious Filipino food I've had on my mission.  Then we had a sweet talent show.  All the districts had to come up with a presentation to show off.  I think my favorite was this skit where the Elders made the Luke 2 story into Ilongo.  I was laughing the entire time.  Maybe even funnier than the skit, however, was the fact that all the couple missionaries attended and I don't think they understood a word of what was going on.  Everyone in the room was crying laughing and then the couples were just confused.  I felt bad for them.  They did have a good time though.  OH I almost forgot.  I met a couple from Lethbridge.  The Boehme family I think it was.  He was a doctor in Lethbridge... They worked with Grandma and Grandpa in the temple!  He actually went to University of Alberta as well... so we had a  nice hockey talk and just left thinking of how small the world is.  We also had a gift exchange!  The gift had to be between 100- 200 pesos.  I found this big native Filipino hat made of strips of bamboo.  This thing was big... like probably 2 1/2 ft in diameter.  Then we drew names and I got none other than Sister Pagaduan.  SHe LOVED it.  Originally the gift was meant to be a joke, but she really liked it.  I have a picture of us two while she is wearing the hat.  Sister Pagaduan is just the best ever.  She is literally just my mission Mom.  She even says that she wants to visit my area on Christmas day and go to church in our little group.  All that and I got to see Elder Balmeo again... he was my companion back in Manoling.  I think he will probably end up being my favorite companion.  I think he is just the Filipino version of me... or I am the White version of him... I'm not entirely sure.  It was way good to see him and get to talk to him for a bit.  I hope I get to be companions with him again... ah that won't happen.  I did tell him, however, that if he ever migrate to America he was welcome to live at our house.  I think you all would just love this guy.  He is hilarious.

We also had a way good Sunday yesterday.  We had a Branch conference in San Jaoquin, the town next to ours, and even though it was far away we had great attendance.  We had 6 investigators at church!  We also had alot of our priesthood attend and all wearing white shirts and ties.  I was way pleased with how everything went.  Then that evening we went to Iloilo again to go see the Devotional.  I thought it was awesome.  I thought Pres Uchtdorf's story was great.  I also really enjoyed the new movies they are releasing online.  These videos are all done by the church as like their Christmas present to everyone.  I thought it was way good. 

This week was kinda rough for me health wise though.  I have had a bit of a fever all week and just been feeling sore and always had a headache.  It seems like it is about passed right now.  I am feeling alot better that I was a couple days ago.  Despite being sick, Elder Workman and I got alot of work done and I am really satisfied with what has happened here this past week.  I am ready for another one!

So we for sure have a place to use video Skype to call home on the 26th (here... 25th for you all).  I could get up early here and even get to call you around evening time in Georgia.  It will be sweet to see you all this time around!  I will just need the skype name or address or whatever it is called so I can contact you all.  I am way excited to see everyone.

I am doing well over here in the Philippines.  I miss you all so much, but I am soaking up my time in the Philippines while I can.  It really will be weird to leave here one day and know that it ill be hard for me to ever come back.  This just kinda feels normal and homeish to me now.  (I don't think homeish is a word... it has that red squiggly line under it.) I hope everyone is doing well over on your side of the world.  Have a very Merry Christmas!

Halong,

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment