Monday, April 18, 2011

Week 31

Hello Everyone!

So this week was SO much better than last week. Even though I was out of commission for a while the Lord blessed us and I'm happy to say that the work even progressed this week. A lot actually. I was very happy with the work Elder Quinantoto and I were able to accomplish and even made a sweet memory that was one of those ones when I got home I just said, "I need to write this one down." Unfortunately for you all it took about five pages to completely write it down and I will be unable to send it to you all via email. On the upside I wrote it down in letter form to my Mother and she should receive it in a week or two (special delivery for a very special lady). It sufficeth me to say (yes, I am a Book of Mormon prophet) that a prayer was answered and we gained an investigator that will most likely be baptized. I will expound more later on in my letter.

I want to discuss now a question that Dad sent me in his e-mail. He mentioned the close proximity of Easter and asked "How do they celebrate Easter in the Philippines?" I kinda laughed when I read that and wondered how I could write this appropriately, but decided I could include the answer it in my big email because it is COMPLETELY different than America. I will just tell you all right now that they are holding a crucifixion in my town on Friday. Not like fake nails or anything but really they will put metal stakes through someones hands and feet to remember the Easter season. They will put a board under his feet so that he doesn't die, but that is it. People literally volunteer to do this. People who repeatedly do it will put stakes in their hands so that the wounds don't close up and it won't be as bad the next year. In other parts of the Philippines other people who aren't crucified will spend all day whipping themselves with thorny ropes (I'm not sure if they do that here). I saw a video of it though from my MTC teacher. Like they had to wash their mission car because they drove by and the people's blood got all over it. The men for these bands that walk through all of the streets and people crowd and watch. They are usually lead by a person who is literally bearing a cross. So there is no such thing as Easter Bunnies here. It is sad to see people think that to remember the sacrifice of our Savior they need to do things like this. I don't think that is what the Savior intended by going through all of that for us. Nevertheless it is what they do and it s how they "celebrate" Easter. My job isn't to judge them, but to try to understand.

Our progress this week was really good and definitely gained some good stories! It will be fun when I come home to try to remember all of these things. It kept coming to mind this week that someday I won't be in the Philippines anymore. I won't see all the things I see everyday. I won't be able to speak Tagalog and Aklanon to everyone I see. The people will be different than here. There were alot of those moments where I just took mental note of everything. How the sun sets here. What the food tastes and smells like. I love it love it love it. It will be a sad and weird day when they aren't there for me anymore. One story was the one mentioned before. We met this woman who has been inactive for about 22 years. She seemed only luke warm to our messages. But we kept trying to work with her especially since her husband is a non member. She finally confessed that she really wants her husband to join the church mostly because they are having a really rough time with the marriage and they were thinking of splitting. So we told her that the gospel would definitely help her and especially her husband. She then said that her husband gets really mad whenever she talks to him about letting the missionaries teach him. He is also really shy because he doesn't know how to read or write. And because I am American. So we said, "Sister we have a plan for you that will fix ALL of your problems. You will pray with your husband as a couple. You will go to church as a couple. You will help Brother get baptized. You will be married in the temple. If you follow this fool proof plan you will fix your marriage and not separate. But it is up to you." She agreed. So we left her with step one... came back and nothing. SO we left a short message of- you are going to have to do this. There is only so much we as missionaries can do. Then we recommitted. Came back. She had prayed. She had only prayed the night before and said she "felt alright" about it. Brother was still shy and angry about listening. We got really excited and begged her to just continue and that she was on the right path. We come back with a message just for Sister to help her come back to church. Elder Quinantoto prays to open the lesson and asks that the Lord will soften the heart of brother and that he will allow us to meet with him. After the prayer Sister just looks up and says, "Puwede ko siyang tawag kung gusto nyo." Or I can call him if you like. We were just like "excuse me?" She repeated herself and once we realized what she meant (that is how far the idea was out of our mind... we had kinda given up on teaching him) said Ya! We would love to meet him. And brother walked in the room about five minutes early. We found out that they HAD continued their prayers. We asked, "Do you feel that God answered that prayer Sister?" She was just like of course... my husband is here and listening to you. Brother had even seen how much their prayers together had practically erased their problems already. SO we taught Brother a bit of lesson one and set up a return appointment. Then when we came back they were working together with Sister's work (which is preparing coconut hairs to be used in making fabric) because Brother has no work. The great thing about that is though, he usually just went next door all day because they couldn't get along. But now he was there right by his wife's side and helping her. They just looked so happy. Man... it was just a miracle. We still have a long way to go with him especially because he can't read or write. Then, on top of than, he is the SHIEST person I've ever met. I just hope I get to stay here another transfer so I can keep working with him. I have a feeling that I will get transferred. I will have been here for six months. It is a sad though. But I am just trying to help them as much as I can right now.

I love you all and apologize for spending all my time on only one story but I think it was worth it. It sure was one of the stories that makes your mission completely worth it. I give permission to Mom to publish the story when she gets it because the FULL story is just awesome. Like how we got to know her and stuff. So get excited for that. I sure hope I get to add on that story more in the near future.

Thanks for all of your support. I think and pray for you all often.

Happy Easter!

Elder Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment